Thursday, April 21, 2016

I'm Sorry.

This is something I have said before, in passing, but recent conversations have made it clear to me that it is something that needs to be said, louder.

I am sorry for the ways in which many of my readers have been poorly treated, or even abused, by Christianity.

Now I know I'm not the one who did it, nor one of the ones who stood by and watched while it was done. But I am a Christian, a Christian leader to boot, and so I am a part of the organization that was culpable in what happened to you.

I've spent a fair amount of time over the last couple years, while writing this blog, looking for a better approach to those people than the vox standard "Not All Christians are Like that." We're not, but that's not the point. While I could simply disavow their actions and go about my business, that doesn't change the fact that many people are being hurt by people who claim to share my faith every day, and those victims aren't so lucky. #notallchristians does them no good when Westboro baptist is shouting at their loved ones funeral, or when family drives them out in the name of a supposedly loving God.

If I am serious about being someone who loves others in the name of Christ, and especially if I am serious about being a leader of others who do so, then to simply disavow such actions is an act of laziness, and if I am being honest, privilege.

I have dedicated a lot of my ministry to fighting such behavior, both in education for those who call me pastor and by being a voice standing against those who, I believe, distort my faith in the image of their prejudices.

I believe that those people are wrong, that they abuse the Scriptures and the Church when they use them to harm others. I will do what I can to fight them, and to show them better ways. But no matter how hard I try, or how many people I reach, the problem remains.

Maybe one day they will see the error of their ways, and in an attempt to make amends, share their own apologies. God grant it be so.

But in the meantime, for the part that I play in the organization that has failed, hurt, abused, and murdered so many, I am deeply, deeply sorry. You did not deserve the way you were treated. You are a beautiful person who deserves love and respect, and the group that I am partially responsible for failed to do so.

Part of that is on me, regardless of my actions, and for that part, you have my apologies. I understand if what you suffered means you never want to be one of us, I am not seeking conversions or returns to the church for this post, like always, such is not my intention.

You deserved better, and we failed you.

I am sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment