Saturday, September 17, 2016

For Politics, I want a Politician.

I am so over this election season.

I am particularly over it as a person with a platform who occasionally gets a call or a visit from someone who wants me in their camp.

For starters, my ability to do the kind of things they usually want me to do is pretty darn limited. I do not speak FOR my church, rather I speak to them, so I don't have the authority to, say, have the church back a candidate, as that could get my church into some legal trouble, as would signs in my yard (which is the church's yard) etc.

But what I am really tired of is politicians telling me that they aren't politicians. "I'm not a politician, I'm a Marine!" You see, that's a false statement. I know that because there are certain things marines do, as part of being a marine, and things politicians do. Running for office is not a part of being a Marine. It is, however, a part of being a politician.


You can deny being a bus driver all day. If, however, your job is driving a bus, then you are a bus driver.

Some have transitioned to using the phrase "career Politician" but that really doesn't help, either. Especially at the State and Federal levels, our politicians face a great many challenges, many of which will only be dealt with through compromise, the ability to say and hear what you and others believe and arrive at workable solutions. Simply having good ideas isn't enough... you need the ability to make those ideas reality. (Something certain third party candidates conveniently forget.)

So when they say they aren't "career politicians" what they mean is that they are amateurs. If I am sending my daughter to her first day of school, I don't want to hear how the person driving her bus is an amateur. That wouldn't make me want to support their bid for bus driver. Why, then, would that be something I want for the one who will guide policy for her school system?

So yes, Candidate shaking hands with steel workers despite cutting their workers rights, you ARE a politician. And by your own admission, probably not a good one, or at least not an experienced one. At this point in History, we need our A team, not the JV. This isn't Amateur hour.

So point me to the politician. Here's hoping they have good ideas, too.

1 comment:

  1. I've heard that the original leaders weren't 'politicians (in the folk-etymology sense of the word ... kissing hands, shaking babies), but were land-owners who took a break from "managing their land" and spent some time "managing the territory" (the original sense of the word) http://www.history.com/topics/us-presidents/presidential-elections

    ReplyDelete