Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Sabbatical... what?

So, the Blog has been basically dead for more than a year. I've intended to kick it off again multiple times over that time but never really felt I had the motivation... a lot of my posting that normally would have gone here happened elsewhere, like on my Facebook page or elsewhere. But today I find myself in a situation I never really believed I'd get to...

I'm on Sabbatical. For the next three months, I won't be attending church meetings, planning services, or writing sermons.

This isn't a vacation, or at least, it isn't meant to be. While rest and recreation ARE on the menu, it is meant as a time of rejuvenation, of stirring up the old brain cells and seeing what I have to share, with the hopes that the reading and writing I do during that time will give me new inspiration for when I return to my more regular work in August.




Getting a Sabbatical is an incredible act of generosity from the Church. A lot of pastors don't get them, and the burnout rate shows the repercussions of that. Even so, this is the first time that my specific church has offered one, and I know that some people are uneasy about the practice.

So, this seemed an excellent time to return to blogging, partially as a way to show people what I am doing and what I am thinking about (as for the next three months I am literally being paid to think and accountability is always a good thing), but also to give myself an outlet for the kind of expression that I am used to having as a pastor.

All that to say, I'm looking to get Ask Pastor Dan up and running again! As always, if you have questions for me about faith, life, or the church, feel free to ask them, and watch this spot as I try to dust off the ol' wheels and get the blog going again.

God Bless... and here's to a good sabbatical!

No comments:

Post a Comment