Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Reader Question/Blogger Clarification- I am not a Savior

What's the first thing/things you do to save someone? Do you have lots of unsaved people in the congregation? How do you find people to save/ what's your favorite way?- John
--------



Hey there, John, and thanks for writing in!

Your question made me grimace a bit, for a very, very simple reason. I don't save people. never have, never will. I am not a Savior, that kind of thing is WAAAAY above my paygrade. That's God level stuff. And if I haven't made this clear yet, then let me do so now... I am not God.

I strongly dislike it when Christians used "saved" language in this way. We do not save each other. We can't even save ourselves. It's a twisting of language that makes us feel like we are the ones in charge, the ones with power, anything but the broken, sinful people that we actually are.

It gives an excuse to ignore or justify our own behavior. What is more important than someone's eternal soul, right? So you can do pretty much anything to them if your goal was soul saving. It's the ultimate "ends justify the means" approach.

I do not save people's souls. NO human being does. Ever.

The state of peoples souls is dependent on precisely one thing... God. The Almighty Creator of the infinite multiverse HAS GOT THIS COVERED. And thank goodness, because we humans? We're class A screw-ups. We do things like harassment under the flag of soul saving. Thank God we're not actually in charge, or we could do some REAL damage.

Imagine if every person ever turned off of religion in general, or Christianity in particular, was a lost soul because one of us screwed up.

I for one would NOT be excited about having to fess up to that before the pearly gates. 

I guess the question made me grimace a lot, actually. So, just to set the record forever straight, I am not a Savior, I don't save people's souls. I do my best to offer a helping hand to them as we go along, struggling together, hoping beyond hope that when it comes to the actual saving, God has got us covered. Because if in the end it is down to you or me? Then we are ALL in a lot of trouble.  



No comments:

Post a Comment