Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Reader Question- Censorship

What do you think of censorship? -Taidaishiar
---------

Interesting question, Taidaishiar. I was considering writing a couple of paragraphs and then formatting them so they look like they have been blacked out, but then I remembered how fundamentally lazy I am. So, I guess I'll just talk about that joke for a second and then answer your questions.

My thoughts on censorship are complicated, because it is a really, really complicated issue. It SHOULDN'T be, but largely is because while internet warriors tend to be all about some free speech, and so against censorship, they tend to get a little fuzzy on when, precisely, free speech is being honored or violated, and it often turns into an issue of "I can say what -I- want, but if you disagree with me, then you're censoring me!" People often forget that while free speech allows you to speak, it isn't a right to be heard, and certainly not a right to a platform.

So in general, I oppose censorship. But when I say that, I find I have to define what, precisely, I mean.

Someone saying that a method of story-telling is harmful to certain people isn't censorship, it's criticism.

Someone threatening the life of someone criticizing a thing they like so that they'll stop criticizing it IS censorship, or at least attempted censorship.

A retailer choosing not to carry a product because of its content isn't censorship, it's a sales strategy.

A government telling retailers that they aren't allowed to carry a product because of it's content is censorship.

Arresting someone because they threatened someone else's life isn't censorship, it's law enforcement.

Arresting someone because they videotaped civic officials threatening (or harming) someone else IS censorship, and corruption besides.

So, to sum up, you have the right to speak. And so long as your speech isn't harming someone else, no one has the right to shut you up. They are NOT, however, obligated to sell what you have to say for you, or to give you a platform to say it from, or carry your message into mass media. That falls under THEIR free speech.

No comments:

Post a Comment