Tuesday, January 6, 2015

State of the Blog- 2015

So I was taking a look at some older blog entries and got distracted by the months column. In July, when I first started this thing, I had 29 entries. August had 22. September and October had 12 each. November had 10. And December had... 2.

I seem to be losing steam.

Or, rather, have basically lost it.

There are still a couple of questions in my queue that I haven't gotten to yet which I WILL be answering so I can make good on promises, but I haven't had anything new for awhile and it makes me wonder what this Blog will look like going forward... or if it will go forward at all.

This has already been, arguably, my most successful writing project, both in terms of longevity and in the number of people who have read it. At this precise moment this blog has had 12,300 hits... a staggering number that truly blows me away. It's been a real honor to have so many people care about my thoughts on various things, and as I was trying to decide what to do with this page going forward, I was also determined not to be disappointed if it became clear that it was time to pack it up. This has been an unmitigated success, no matter how I slice it.

One of my goals this year has been to refocus on my writing. Folks who put up with my blathering on ANF know that I always have a project or ninety in the works, from poetry to short stories to even video games. Between ANF and the Blog I have made good on my own personal promise to write at least 300 words a day... a deal I made with Anne Lamotte, quite without her knowledge, after reading her spectacular book Bird by Bird, but that writing has been largely scattered with the sole exception of this Blog.

I think it might be time to refocus. Of all of my projects, there are two that likely deserve the MOST attention. A novella I wrote called The New Aubrey Public Library which tells the story of a faceless protagonist who stumbles into a Library that is bigger on the inside, where the paths change and where a wild Thesaurus Rex stalks the corridors. The other is an attempt at a true Novel, where loosely titled Weidia Tours, which is a sort of coming of age story set in a fantasy world featuring a teenaged dragon, his would-be slayer, and a Dark Lord who got into his business because he can't stand up to his mother.

I swear, it all made perfect sense at the time.

Anyway, like I said, I will endeavor to answer all the questions I have on the queue. Should I run out, I may take on some random subjects as they occur to me, or if I feel that the whole Ask Pastor Dan thing has run its course, then gratefully step away to give more energy to other projects.

In the meantime, thanks for reading... and I mean that truly.

-Dan

2 comments:

  1. This makes me sad. Your blog has been very helpful in trying to reconcile some of my own search for truth with what I have been told all my life.

    But I can totally understand needing to do other things.

    Have you considered broadening the scope to writing about modern Christianity / religion in general rather than just answering questions?

    ReplyDelete
  2. An apostle tells us to 'become perfect even as God became perfect.' (Maybe you talked about this in a question or something ... I dunno). God created man "not good," and he STILL hasn't fixed it! (He's waiting on US to do something---acheive warp-speed, cure cancer & AIDS etc., rebuild the ark, don't know WHAT)

    The closest he gave us was Jesus Christ who could only 'be our Way, Truth & Light.' But God STILL hasn't finished; Why should we expect YOU to do what he hasn't yet? (Like Jesus said, "I do nothing of myself; all I do is what I see The Father do before me.")

    I trust you know the Way, and that it will lead you & all disciples to The Kingdom. Amen.

    ReplyDelete