Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Reader Question: Sunday School Burnout and Guilt Complex

Hi, Pastor Dan!
 

I'm exhausted physically, mentally, and spiritually, to the point where I've made myself sick. How do I broach the topic of "I really feel like I need to stop teaching Sunday school and change churches before I burn out, because it's detrimental to me and therefore the kids" in a way that doesn't offend my kids' leader and my pastor's wife?                      -Kya

Ugh.

Sorry, Kya, I'm not mad at you. I'm mad at this strange guilt system that seems built into most churches, whereby parishioners feel compelled to continue in programs that aren't feeding them until they either just have to leave, or completely fall apart and take the program with them. It's ridiculously prevalent, and makes me crazy.

The answer is short, and sweet. Use your words. But probably not all at once.

My recommendation is to get an appointment with your pastor or both and tell them that you are going to have to stop. No excuses, no placating, you are exhausted to the point of illness and need to quit.Once that has been said, ask if you can talk about your spiritual exhaustion. And pay very close attention to his answers. If his focus becomes getting you back to Sunday School teaching form, rather than getting you back to health, trust your instincts, give him your best, and walk out and find yourself a new place to worship, a place that sees the need to feed you rather than just use you.

If he does focus on caring for your spiritual need, take some time to see if your tank starts refilling. If so, a few weeks down the road reevaluate if you really want to leave. If not, great, if so, it's time to go church shopping.

People may be offended by that. But that is their problem, not yours. Don't worry about what they think, instead, worry about how you act. If you believe that you have acted in the best faith towards them and the children you are teaching, you don't owe anything beyond that.

DFTBA


No comments:

Post a Comment