Thursday, July 10, 2014

So Why the Ministry?

From time to time I get questions from people wanting to know how I ended up becoming a Pastor. The "how" is relatively simple; when I felt the call, I met with the elders of my church an professed my desire to pursue a career in ministry. Once I had their approval, I became what is known as an "Inquirer," someone under care of the church discerning their call. This step takes a minimum of a year. During this time I enrolled at an accredited Seminary, in my case, Columbia Theological Seminary. After my Inquiry period ended (which included a comprehensive psych evaluation), I was reviewed by a larger body of church government called the Presbytery, at which point I was approved to be a "Candidate for Ministry." Then, once I had completed Seminary and had been called by a specific church, I was Ordained as a Minister of Word and Sacrament.

But "how" often isn't the real question those people are after. I think they want the "why". Why become a minister? The money's not great, the church is undeniably dying, and in an age of information and the internet, helping people work on their relationships with God can seem like a real anachronism at times.

The answer is also rather complicated. I spent a very long period of my life saying that I wouldn't do it. I built up an impressive list of why nots.

I didn't want to be a pastor. My Dad is a pastor. My Grandpa was a pastor. It would just feel like I was going into the family business. I was too screwed up. I mean, who am I lead anyone? I wanted to teach. Or to write. Or... something. Who needed a serious, politically infused job like being a Pastor?

The thing was, I kept doing ministry. I was involved in local Young Life, ran youth groups, led worship at college, taught Bible Studies. I was fascinated by the scriptures and read them like the geek I was, trying to unlock the secrets the authors had left for me to find.

Then, one day, I was talking to my college Roommate, Mike. Mike's a great guy, himself headed for ministry. We were talking about the ministry and I was joking around about how my "policy" was that if I was called to the ministry I would go, but I hadn't been. Which was funny, because of all the ministry I was already doing, etc.

Mike looked at me strangely and then asked, "Dan, what do you think a call looks like?"

I'd been holding out for the clouds parting, the hand of God descending, Angels singing, something to that effect.  (I don't think that was too much to ask.) Instead, I got swallowed by giant fish, or one of Mike's bearhugs. I realized it wasn't a matter of what I wanted to DO. It was a matter of who I was... who I am.

By the time I had reason to address the question of "Why do Ministry" instead of "Why Not," it was too late. I was already doing it.

So Why do Ministry? Because, apparently, I can't not.

No comments:

Post a Comment