Friday, August 29, 2014

Reader Question- "God hasn't said I'm wrong."


How would you, as a Christian, respond to another Christian who says to you during a disagreement, "Well, I've prayed and asked God to show me if I'm wrong, and I just want you to know you are doing the wrong thing"? With this line of reasoning, they'll always be right.    -Sarah
---------------------

(Note from the Management: Sorry about missing Thursday! Though he normally takes Friday off, we managed to tie Pastor Dan up until he answered the question. Of course, he was then unable to type. But while he was tied up we searched his house and now will hold his vintage Game Boy until he got back up to task because we are NOT gonna let him lag on this. Ok, here we go.)

Hey there, Sarah! Thanks for your question. To start off, I would answer with a story. Because, you know. Pastor here.

One day there was a terrible flood. The radio reported flood waters rising throughout a particular community and a man sat in his house and prayed that God would save him from the floods. 

A few minutes later some Firefighters pulled up in a van and told him to get in, that they were evacuating the area. But he refused, because he had prayed, and knew that God would save him. They tried and tried to convince him but he refused.

Then, as the waters came up to his door, a police boat came up to the house and the police called for him to get aboard, but again, he refused, saying that he had faith that God would save him. They begged and begged him but finally had to move on to save others.

Then, shortly after he was forced to climb onto his roof to avoid the floodwaters, a helicopter from a local news agency flew by, and the pilot flew in close for him to get aboard, but again, he refused. "I have prayed, and prayed," he called to the pilot, "And I believe that the Lord will save me!" The winds whipped up, the Pilot was forced to fly away, and eventually the house was swept away in the floodwaters, and the man drowned.

When he arrived at the gates of heaven, the man was a little disgruntled, went up to God and said, "O Lord, I had faith. Why didn't you rescue me?"

To which God responded, "Yeah, I don't know what happened. I sent a van, a boat, and even a helicopter to save you!"

This story isn't nearly as outlandish as it sounds. There are tons of Christians who are unable to recognize the work of God in the world unless it is accompanied by glowing lights and at least three celestial choirs. And yet the Bible is packed full of instances of the will (and word) of God being delivered by other people.

So to the Christian who says that they have prayed for God to tell them if they are wrong, I remind them that it is entirely possible that God is doing precisely that... through me. 

(Now give me my Game Boy back.)

No comments:

Post a Comment